K4OZY's Collins Repository
NOS Mica Capacitors: Use or Not?
Gaylord Hart's account of his testing of NOS "domino" capacitors.
Collins R-627/URC-8 Receiver
Please give me a hand digging up information on a most
unusual Collins receiver, the
Collins 30K Transmitters
At this point, 2 30K-1's and a 30K-2 have followed me home.
Click here to take a tour
Collins R-388 / 51J-(x) Receivers
- Early 51J-2 Receiver with 70E7-A PTO
- Later 51J-2 Receiver with 70E-15 PTO
- 51J-3 Receiver
- R-388 Receiver (Nearly identical to 51J-3)
- Note that this manual is worthwhile even if you already have a 51J-3 manual, as it has more info and is more complete. Be sure to download and read the 4 "changes" to the TM, as they contain useful information and clarification of the alignment proceedure!
- R-388/URR Manual (TM 11-854) Part 1 (200 DPI, PDF, 8.7MB)
- R-388/URR Manual (TM 11-854) Part 2 (200 DPI (300 DPI for certain illustrations), PDF, 9.6MB)
- R-388/URR Schematic (From TM 11-854) (300 DPI 2 x 8.5x11 pages, PDF, 0.6MB)
- R-388/URR Schematic (From TM 11-854) (600 DPI single 11x17 scan, PDF, 2.5MB)
- Changes No. 1 to TM 11-854, dated 4/54 (300 DPI, PDF, 0.6MB)
- Changes No. 2 to TM 11-854, dated 11/55 (300 DPI, PDF, 0.8MB)
- Changes No. 3 to TM 11-854 (dated 5/24/57, with many thanks to Bob AC0JL!)
- Changes No. 4 to TM 11-854 (dated 11/25/63, with many thanks to Bob AC0JL!)
- 354A-1 Mechanical Filter Conversion Kit
- 51J-4 Receiver
51J-4 Collins Sales Brochure (PDF, 4.8MB)
51J-4 Manual (8/54), Sec 1-5, 200DPI scan of Xerox (PDF, 5.5MB)
51J-4 Manual (8/54), Sec 6, 200DPI scan of Xerox (PDF, 4.2MB)
51J-4 Schematic (black on white) (PDF, 11x17 scan, 450KB)
51J-4 Schematic (GIF, 733KB)
51J-4 Schematic (white on black) (PDF, 225KB)
- 51J-4 Receiver, 9th Edition (September 1961)
Very late edition of the 51J-4 manual--may be the last.
- 51J-4 Manual (9/61), Part 1, 200DPI (PDF, 2.9MB)
- 51J-4 Manual (9/61), Part 2, 200DPI (PDF, 2.0MB)
- 51J-4 Manual (9/61), Part 3, 200DPI (PDF, 4.5MB)
- 51J-4 Schematic (9/61), 300DPI 11x17 (PDF, 0.4MB)
- Bill Kirkland's Notes on the 51J Gearbox
- Bill Kirkland's 51J Drum, Dial, and PTO Decals
Here's Bill's artwork for the KC dial on a 51J receiver:
And, here's Bill's newly released versions of the 51J Dial Drum overlays. There are two, one on a yellow background, one on white (some owners prefer yellow because it's a close match to the way the drums look after 60 years of aging!). Bill offers the following advice on installation:
Printing and Trimming
- It's best to print the overalys out in photo-quality mode on low-cost photo-quality matte paper.
- Spray with an artist fixative to provide a protective coating.
- Trim the prints to size using a sharp knife and steel rule. The width of the border is set to the
width of the drum, less the end disks. This is wider than the original but the extra width makes it easier
to align on the drum.
- The vertical borders are a good start, but the overlay will need to be trimmed more.
This is best done by trial fitting the overlay and trimming as needed. I would recommend not
allowing the edges to overlap.
- Check the overlay alignment/position across the bands. There are 30 band positions; it is not
unusual to see an offset, and it is best to be aware of this offset before replacing the overlay.
- The offset is likely due to slight differences in drum diameter and possibly thickness of the drum cord.
- Once the overlay has been trimmed, check its alignment with the present drum decal.
- If you think the position offset is going to be significant compared to what it was before,
contact Bill Kirkland: he can alter the size of the overlay and send you a new PDF.
- Strip off the old drum decal, especially if it is flaking or there are uneven patches.
These will show through the new overlay, and must be removed.
- Once the overlay has been readied, coat the back with a 3M spray adhesive. It is sticky
stuff, so do a couple of dry runs for laying the overlay onto the drum, before applying adhesive.
Here're the drum overlays:
Bill has been a busy boy.. he's now created a PDF for the 70E-15 PTO orange decal that always seems to be missing or torn. You can edit this decal before printing, to insert your very own serial number!
- Tom Frobase's Solid-State Recitifier for the 51J Receivers
Collins 30J-Series Transmitters
Thanks much to Rod Perala for sharing these docs!
- Revision 2
- Revision 3
- 30K-1 Manual, Part 1 (200 DPI, PDF, 3MB)
- 30K-1 Manual, Part 2 (200 DPI, PDF, 3MB)
- 30K-1 Schematic, scan of Xerox (300DPI, PDF, 11X17 0.6MB)
- 310A-3 Exciter Schematic (scan of fragile, water-damaged
- Revision 4
I have a full manual for this revision, but haven't yet scanned it for a
stupid technical reason. Will get to it asap.
- 32RA-7 Transmitter
- 32RA-8 Transmitter
- 32V-2 Transmitter
- 32V-2 Manual, Part 1 (200 DPI, PDF, 2.8MB)
- 32V-2 Manual, Part 2 (200 DPI, PDF, 3.2MB)
- 32V-2 Schematic, (300DPI, PDF, 3x8.5x11 0.6MB)
- 32V-2 Schematic, (300DPI, PDF, 2x11x17 0.9MB)
- 32V-3 Transmitter
- 32V-3 Manual (dated 4/15/52), Part 1 (200 DPI, PDF, 4.7MB)
- 32V-3 Manual (dated 4/15/52), Part 2 (200 DPI, PDF, 5.3MB)
- 32V-3 Schematic (dated 4/15/52) (300 DPI, PDF, 3x8.5x11 0.9MB)
- 32V-3 Schematic (dated 4/15/52) (300 DPI, PDF, 2x11x17 1.2MB)
- 32V-3 Manual (dated 6/1/53) (300 DPI, PDF, 15.5MB)
- 75A-1 Receiver
- 75A-2 Receiver
- 75A-4 Receiver
- Full Manual for late 75A-4 (3/15/65) (200 DPI, PDF, 4.9MB)
- Late 75A-4 Schematic (3/15/65), multiple 8.5x11 pages (300 DPI, PDF, 0.5MB)
- Late 75A-4 Schematic (3/15/65), 8.5x11+11x17 (300 DPI, PDF, 0.5MB)
- 75A-4 Modifications for SAC Bulletin (200 DPI, PDF, 0.2MB)
- 75A-4 Modifications for BuShips (with many thanks to Tom Clarke K4OKW!) (200 DPI, PDF, 0.8MB)
- Scan of 75A-4 Front Panel (300 DPI, PDF, 2MB 11x17)
- Scan of 75A-4 Front Panel (300 DPI, TIFF, 730KB, 11x17)
The document "Discussion of Collins Developed Noise Blankers.." was kindly provided to me by Tom Anderson WW5L. Unfortunately
it has no author or date. The copy I received wasn't that great, so I typed it up as an HTML and added the block diagram of
the 136B in the appropriate place.
- 136B Noise Limiter
- 516F-2 Power Supply
62S-1 VHF Converter
These service bulletins kindly provided by Marvin Moss:
- 651S-1 Service Bulletins (PDF, 13.2MB)
- 651S-1 Manual, Part 1--Installation (PDF, 3.6MB)
- 651S-1 Manual, Part 1--Operation (PDF, 1.6MB)
- 651S-1 Manual, Part 1--Description and Principals of Operation (PDF, 15.1MB)
- 651S-1 Manual, Part 1--Maintenance (PDF, 12.1MB)
- 651S-1 Manual, Part 1--Schematics (PDF, 19.5MB)
- 651S-1 Manual, Part 2--Parts List (PDF, 55.3MB)
Collins Mechanical Filter Catalog
Collins Quality Standards Manual
This manual was used internally at Collins Radio to specify the standards
of workmanship to be used in their equipment. It contains all sorts of
useful information including, but by no means limited to:
- Cable lacing techniques, and the "Collins knot"
- Fastener types and their proper use
- How to solder and weld
- How to read a huge variety of color coded components
- ...and much, much more.
The following 2-part scan includes pages 22/23, which were irritatingly missing from
my eariler scan. Sorry about that!